[RASMB] upper concentration limit AUC

Beld, Joris beld at org.chem.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 1 06:24:15 PDT 2008

Dear all,

A colleague asked me whether analytical ultracentrifugation has an upper limit with regard to the concentration of the protein. They want to measure the protein at the same concentration as the NMR experiments (> 1 mM). I am not entirely sure but I thought this should be no problem. One could easily measure off-peak at another wavelength than 230nm, e.g. 235nm or 280nm, right?! Or does one run into non-ideality phenomena when doing sedimentation equilibrium at these high protein concentrations?!

Thanks a lot in advance for any feedback.

Best wishes,

Joris Beld

Hilvert Group

ETH Zürich