[RASMB] Research Associate position for SPR user at Genentech, SSF

Tony Giannetti giannetti.tony at gene.com
Thu Jul 24 17:19:34 PDT 2008

Dear RASMB members,

            I am currently hiring for a research associate in the
Biochemical Pharmacology group at Genentech in South San Francisco,
California.  We will be working with surface plasmon resonance assay
(Biacore) to study small-molecule/protein binding in the areas of
fragment-based lead identification, HTS hit validation, lead-optimization
studies, and even some late-stage compound work.  The large dynamic range of
the Biacore (hundreds of picomolar to double-digit millimolar) means the
technology and group can contribute across the full range of the
pharmaceutical discovery process.  The group is also very dynamic working on
a large number of projects so there will be opportunity to broaden skills in
other areas of small molecule discovery.

The job description and link to the site to submit CVs is below.  If you
submit, please also let me know so I can make sure it clears any hurdles at
HR.  Please also forward to individuals you think may be interested, but not
on this list.  Thanks,

Tony

http://jobpostings.gene.com/pljb/global_jsp/applicant/DisplayJob/JobDetails.
jsp?display=1
<http://jobpostings.gene.com/pljb/global_jsp/applicant/DisplayJob/JobDetails
.jsp?display=1&pljbHome=/Genentech/external/applicant/index.jsp&id=18193>
&pljbHome=/Genentech/external/applicant/index.jsp&id=18193

Research Associate/Senior Research Associate

Job ID

1000023843

Requisition Number

08-1000023843 RA/SRA BPH

Location

South San Francisco, CA

Job Category

Research - Discovery

Shift

N/A

Description

Responsibilities:
We have an opening for a talented Research
Associate or Sr. Research Associate to join our Biochemical Pharmacology
group in the Small Molecules Drug Discovery Division in
South San Francisco. The successful candidate will be responsible for
developing, optimizing, validating and executing surface plasmon
resonance (SPR as implemented with Biacore technology) assays that monitor
direct binding of small molecules to protein targets, in
support of fragment screening efforts and advanced lead optimization
programs.  The individual will work with an experienced Scientist to conduct
SPR experiments and analyze data across the lead discovery pipeline
including, but not limited to, fragment screening and HTS hit validation for
new projects, detailed binding characterization for lead-optimization
projects, and albumin binding for late-stage
projects.  The successful candidate will also  help develop innovative SPR
methods and applications, and apply SPR and other biophysical techniques
within multi-disciplinary drug discovery project teams. Close collaboration
with the NMR scientists conducting complementary fragment screens will be
key to success, as will
collaboration with our HTS group, medicinal chemists, structural biologists,
and pathway cell biology experts.

Requirements:
A B.S. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biophysics, or a related field is
required, with at least 3+ years industrial experience in using SPR /
Biacore technology to study protein-small
molecule binding interactions. The candidate should have experience with
protein characterization and modification, as well as a solid understanding
of data analysis of SPR binding data. Experience with a variety of different
data handling and data management programs is desirable, as is experience in
integrating SPR data into drug discovery project teams.  Experience with
other biophysical
techniques such as calorimetry or thermal shift is a plus.  Strong teamwork,
organizational skills, and written and oral communication
skills are essential.

DIVISION:  Research
REQUISITION NUMBER:  08-1000023843 RA/SRA BPH