[RASMB] microbes vanquished

Chad Brautigam chad.brautigam at utsouthwestern.edu
Thu May 29 15:24:37 PDT 2008

Dear All,

There has been some interest in whether I emerged victorious against
my microbial foe.  So I thought I'd post my cleaning protocol:

1.  Soak 1 hr. in 0.25 M NaOH (this is the maximum concentration that
is "satisfactory" for the centerpieces in the Beckman chemical
compatibility chart that I have).
2.  Rinse with copious quantities of distilled H2O.
3.  Soak 1 hr. in 0.25 M HCl.
4.  Rinse with distilled H2O again.
5.  Sonicate ten minutes in 0.5% SDS/0.5 mM EDTA.
6.  Rinse with lots and lots of distilled H2O.
7.  Rinse briefly with 95% EtOH.
8.  Rinse with H2O.
9.  Air dry.

Both the charcoal-filled Epon centerpiece and the sapphire windows
were given this treatment.

I ran the same protein at the same concentration in the treated
centerpiece/window combination and saw no evidence of degradation.
Hooray!

Thanks again to all those who were kind enough to post their protocols.

Chad

======================================
Chad A. Brautigam, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor