[RASMB] microbial contamination

Chad Brautigam chad.brautigam at utsouthwestern.edu
Wed May 21 12:24:50 PDT 2008

Dear All,

Much to my dismay, I am forced to conclude that one of my centerpiece/
window combinations for our analytical ultracentrifuge has become
contaminated with some evil microbe.  How do I know?  Well,
whatever's in there, it's tearing apart both protein and RNA with
gleeful abandon.  On Monday, I had a 27 kDa protein reduced to amino
acids in mere hours.  Terrifying!

So I'm wondering how people have defeated these enemies in the past.
I see in the archive that RNAseZap is recommended for killing the
RNAses, but I didn't come across anything to kill the hungry bugs.  A
little fire would teach them a lesson, but I doubt the centerpiece
would tolerate that very well.  I see from the chemical compatibility
charts that I could go after the evildoers with acetic (glacial!) or
hydrochloric acids.  Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

And please, do not hold back!  I am willing to get extremely medieval
on their microscopic butts.  Remember, this isn't about good science
anymore- it's about revenge.

With anticipation,
Chad

======================================