[RASMB] non-ideality in velocity [was: interference optics]

Schoenfeld, Hans-J. hans-j.schoenfeld at roche.com
Wed Apr 9 23:28:00 PDT 2008

 Hi Borries,
with your statements regarding the importance to distinguish reversible
oligomers from irreversible aggregates I completely agree.
This distinction is as important as it may be trivial, at least for
(physico)chemists. The two different types of association are often
mixed up by people with a non-chemistry (law of mass action) background.
I heard statements like: "everything that is not the monomer peak is
unwanted contamination per definition" or "we have no chance to get a
molecule accepted that shows two peaks in SEC". Consequently this would
mean that any active biological system that undergoes (slow)
self-oligomerization is unwanted...
Two further comments (sorry, if already given by others):
1.) On-line light scattering (one angle is sufficient) in SEC is not
only useful to measure accurate molecular mass, but in this context it
is also helpful to detect small traces of irreversible but soluble
medium-sized aggregates that appear in the exclusion volume (in this
context of course, it is more a qualitative than quantitative method).
2.) The AF4 separation technology (asymmetrical-flow
field-flow-fractionation) may be an alternative method that avoids
"filtering of aggregates" before quantitative analysis.
Best regards from Basel,
Hans-Joachim.