[RASMB] non-ideality in velocity [was: interference optics]

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Tue Apr 8 09:21:03 PDT 2008

Hi All-
I am following this discussion with great interest. I think it is time
to revisit the J-O effect, but for a somewhat different reason. With the
fluorescence optics, we are able to monitor sedimentation in serum
(total protein concentrations of 70 - 100 mg/ml). There are several good
biomedical reasons for being concerned about aggregation in serum, let
alone in formulations. E.g., injection of monoclonal antibodies from
formulation conditions into serum may or may not be benign with respect
to aggregation- both homo- and hetero- aggregate formation could affect
the immunogenicity, toxicity and pharmaco-kinetics. It will be important
to disentangle aggregate formation from hydrodynamic nonideality.
You certainly can observe the J-O effect in serum. Sometimes the effect
is spectacular- peaks in concentration where the slower material runs up
against the boundary of the faster moving material. There are some
papers that model the effect from some years ago (David Yphantis did
some work on this, as did John Cann) and, of course, Arthur has done a
great deal of work on it. Most of this work has focused on simple
solutions. I'd be very interested in thoughts on these effects in
biological fluids. Keep going with the discussion!
Thanks-
Tom