[RASMB] k_off rate

Dmitry Veprintsev dbv at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 7 02:04:18 PDT 2008

Dear Niko,
Although Kd =k_on/k_off, as Claus has suggested, you have to know one of
the constants to determine the other. Calculating diffusion-limited
on_rates may be helpful but can also be very misleading if there are any
electrostatic interactions involved, and for proteins thay almost always
are. If you really on/off rates, you will have to measure them. There
are lots of methods available, starting with stopped-flow or dilution
followed by fluorescence, CD or absorbance.  NMR - based techniques may
also be useful. Calculating based on structure unfortunately has not
matured enough to give this answer with any accuracy.
best regards, Dmitry

Wenta Nikola wrote:

> Dear Colleagues!
> In order to make my question more precise, I want to to calculate the
> theoretically diffusion-controlled maximum possible k_off rate of a
> given dimer based it's kD (from SE run), in combination with a
> calculated diffusion coefficient for monomer and dimer by HydroPro.
> If anyone had any suggestions how to calculate that k_off rate, I
> would be very grateful.
> Niko

> attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your
> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK legislation.

Dr. Dmitry Veprintsev
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 0QH, UK