[RASMB] SedVel60K [was: intensity issues]

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Apr 3 10:15:55 PDT 2008

Sorry Tom but I beg to differ on the SedVel60K issue. I have seen raw data
from at least 4 instruments myself where this was a problem (including one
of yours). There may indeed be instruments with hardware trouble where the
extra noise and distortion of the baselines occurs 100% of the time, but in
other instruments the problem is only intermittent (and may not be obvious).

The delay calibration shifts slightly from run to run even when the
counterbalance alignment is constant, and even in a correctly functioning
instrument, potentially allowing variable amounts of light to hit the walls
of the SedVel60K centerpiece. My own careful testing shows that the timing
is marginal at 60K even with the standard centerpieces. In some runs, and
especially at the highest rotor speeds, I think every user will see data
distortion with the SedVel60K. Whether that distortion and extra noise is
significant or not depends of course on your particular applications and
needs.

This issue could, I think, be put to rest if Spin Analytical would create
and market window holders that incorporate an appropriate mask to prevent
the light from hitting the walls of the SedVel60K centerpieces. These would
be similar to the "interference masks" already available, but would need a
sector-shaped hole with appropriate orientation rather than parallel slits.
If you make them, I think the extra cost will easily be made up if the
centerpiece lifetime is much longer as we all expect.

John