[RASMB] intensity issues

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Thu Apr 3 09:21:51 PDT 2008

Hi-
I think the two problems, low intensity and the periodic fluctuations,
are related. There is a small offset voltage that is not intensity
related but that shows up on the A/D. At low intensities, this offset
becomes a greater fraction of the total signal. Fluctuations of the sort
you are seeing could be the result of small fluctuations in timing, the
offset voltage, sensitivity of the reference detector.
The underlying cause, though, is the low intensity... the machine is not
in spec.
This is not due to using SedVel60K centerpieces. The timing issue with
SedVel60Ks result in increased stochastic noise, typically at one or the
other end of the channels. Also, out of 100+ instruments using SedVel60K
centerpieces, we have encountered the timing problem with only 3
instruments. With two of those three cases, the noise problem
disappeared after the instrument was serviced.
Best wishes,
Tom