[RASMB] problem with fitting

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Thu Mar 20 11:13:07 PDT 2008

Hi-
It should be noted that in addition to the viscosity effects of
glycerol, there will be solvation effects. Solvation will contribute to
the Stokes radius of the protein, without necessarily changing the shape
of the protein. While solvent effects on Rs tend to be small for
glycerol and other small, inert solutes, they can affect Rs in solutions
containing small molecules that interact with the protein of interest,
and they will be substantial solutions containing high concentrations of
macromolecules. In the latter case, the macromolecule of interest is
"solvated" with other macromolecules, and it is not unusual to get
values of f/fo of 4 or greater.
Also note that the natural frame of reference for the sedimenting
molecule is the solution, not the cell or the room. This means that
solvent backflow will contribute to the sedimentation as observed from
the room frame of reference. Again, solvent backflow is not an issue
with glycerol, but it is an issue with bulkier solutes (e.g. large
micelles or vesicles).
Tom