[RASMB] problem with fitting

Fasolini, Marina [Nervianoms] Marina.Fasolini at nervianoms.com
Mon Mar 3 01:10:00 PST 2008

Dear AUC users,
I have a problem in the fitting of some data and I would like to have your opinion.

I want to control the sedimentation of a protein in order to define the state of oligomerization. It is published as forming an  hexameric homo oligomer. From the crystal structure, it is a wheel like structure of 160 angstrom  in diameter, with a central role of 15 angstrom in diameter. The thickness is 20-40 angstrom. How can I expect it to sediment? How can I improve my parameters or model in order to improve the fitting?

The protein is 50KDa  but in gel filtration it cames out as  hexamer (300 KDa). In my sedimentation experiment I see one peak of  6.23S which corresponds to 140KDa. Fitting of the sedimentation data was done with SedFit. Do you think I can say that it is a trimer? I would expect it as an hexamer.

I hope someone can help me.

the conditions are :
buffer 20mM Tris pH7, 150mM NaCl, 1mM DTT, 5%gly
Vbar 0.7397
Viscosity 1.02530
Density 0.01183

Thanks a lot