[RASMB] XL-I: Resetting Com Port

Titus M. Franzmann 2titus at franzmann.org
Thu Feb 21 10:13:48 PST 2008

Hi,

my name is Titus Franzmann. I am running the analytical in Johannes Buchners
Lab in Munich, Germany.

I guess this is an old issue, but maybe someone knows the solution to our
problem.

We are running an XL-I which was upgraded from an XL-A several years ago.
Attached to the machine is a standard PC. This seems to be the problem.

When recording IP scans, after an irregular number of scans (can be after 5
or after 400, and any scan number in between) the error message: "COM:
Resetting Com Port" appears. In most cases the machine fails to scan. The
program does not freeze, I can stop the scan and start an new method. It
appears as if the communication gets lost over a certain time-out period.

I tired to fix this issue with 5 different PCs (PII to AMD Athlon 1700XP)
attached to our XL-I, running Win95 and Win98SE, with Beckman XL Software
4.5, respectively. I also made sure that all COM-Port settings are as
Beckman suggests, and as well as posted here in the RASMB forum.

Does anyone know a solution to this issue or do we have to go and buy the
Windows XP upgrade, as standard PCs fail to word and the old IBM PCs are no
longer available?

Thank you and best regards from Munich

Titus