[RASMB] density meter accuracy/precision

Stephen Eyles eyles at polysci.umass.edu
Wed Feb 20 07:10:10 PST 2008

Hi AUCers.

We are contemplating purchasing a densitometer to more accurately
determine densities of our buffer solutions for AUC.
What precision/accuracy is really necessary?  I know the de facto
standard instrument seems to be the Anton Paar DMA5000 but is this
overkill?  Aside the significant extra expense, is there a real
benefit to 6-decimal place measurement of density or could we do a
reasonable job with a hand-held instrument?  Weighing known volumes on
a balance clearly isn't cutting the mustard!

Thanks for any advice and helpful tips.

Steve

Dr Stephen J. Eyles
University of Massachusetts - Amherst