[RASMB] A Complicated Equilibrium Problem

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Thu Jan 17 08:17:45 PST 2008

Hi Eric,

if you're able to determine the species concentrations in SV through c(s)
in SEDFIT or by discrete species analysis in SEDPHAT, it must mean that the
interconversion is sufficiently slow such that the oligomers to not fall
apart on the time-scale of sedimentation.  If this is true, then the
signals from each oligomer still approximately reflect their equilibrium
populations.  In that case, you can simply use the signals of each of the
oligomers, convert into concentration, and plug that into any mass action
law to get the binding constants.

With a system as complicated as yours, even if it is pretty clean, I'm not
sure if there is a good chance to do much better.  For reasons I've
outlined previously, I don't think that kinetic rate constants will be
sufficiently well determined not to have enormous parameter correlations
and be extremely susceptible from systematic errors arising from slight
inaccuracies in the assumptions regarding buoyancy and purity.

On the other hand, even if there's slight dissociation during SV, the
numbers you may be able to get from species analysis may still be pretty
good ball-park estimates.  You can find out if that approximation works
well by running your sample at different concentrations. If the s-value of
the peaks for each species appears independent of loading concentration
(i.e. only the relative height changes, but not peak position), then this
should be pretty good.

Peter