[RASMB] A Complicated Equilibrium Problem

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Jan 14 11:19:46 PST 2008

Eric,

The program SEDANAL by Walt Stafford includes a model builder so you can do
what you like.

Be aware though that one common complicating factor is that not 100% of your
protein is participating in the mass-action equilibrium. You could have
"incompetent monomer" that does not associate, or irreversible aggregates of
the protein (independent of nickel binding). For example, if you drive
association with nickel, but then chelate away the nickel, do you get back
to 100% monomer?

Overall, my advice would be that often one can make more progress by
cleaning up your samples and getting better data rather than spending lots
of time fitting complex models to bad data.

John