[RASMB] Sedimentation coefficient of human serum albumin monomer and good protein standard with well established s value

Yi-Ming_Li at hgsi.com Yi-Ming_Li at hgsi.com
Mon Dec 17 10:49:42 PST 2007

Hi! Everyone
We are looking for some "protein standard" to qualify our sedimentation
velocity method. We think that HSA may be a good candidate for the
standard. Does anyone know the sedimentation coefficient of human serum
albumin monomer (corrected for buffer density and viscosity as well as
vbar)? Some literatures said HSA has a sedimentation coefficient of 4.6 s,
this is significantly higher than the value of the monomer sedimentation
coefficient of HSA I got by analyzing the SV data of Sigma HSA using C(s)
model. The C(s) profile of this Sigma HSA showed that the product contains
about 80% monomer, 17% dimer and 3% trimer. So I guess the 4.6 s value
reported in some literatures is the weight average apparent s value of the
HSA monomer, dimer and trimer (or even some oligomers) in the sample
instead of the apparent s value of HSA monomer. Therefore it will be very
helpful for me if anyone can tell me the accurate s value of HSA monomer.
Also the suggestions for better protein standard (better commercial
available) with a well established s value will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Yiming