[RASMB] Protein degradation in AUC

Claus Urbanke urbanke.claus at mh-hannover.de
Fri Oct 12 04:40:35 PDT 2007

Hello RASMBers,

for a few weeks now we encounter a nasty problem regarding the cleaning
of epon centerpieces (charcoal/aluminum). With an occurence of 10 - 30%
protein will be partially cleaved (by a protease?) after a sedimentation
run. Has anyone encountered this before? How can one clean the
centerpieces. The resistance chart tells me that GuaHCl is satisfactory
and urea is unknown, so we are testing some centerpiece fragments over
the weekend in concentrated urea solution.

We are cleaning our centerpieces with a pipe cleaner using commercial
household detergent rinse them with hot water and finally with doubly
distilled (dd) water. The detergent itself was tested to be protease
free. We use saphire windows that are cleaned by >  1 hour 50% nitric
acid, rinsing with water, dd water and drying.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestion

Claus

--
Prof. Dr. Claus Urbanke
Medizinische Hochschule