[RASMB] aggregates data analysis

Tom Laue tml at cisunix.unh.edu
Thu May 3 10:08:30 PDT 2007

Hi Joris-
The lack of a gradient at the meniscus indicates that there is a fairly
strong association to larger species. The lack of an exponential
distribution suggests that the system is exhibiting very strong
repulsive nonideality.  You are working at low ionic strength, and have
a reduced dielectric constant due to the methanol. The nonideality is
most likely due to charge-charge repulsion. There is no way excluded
volume effects would be this strong. I would be suspicious of a primary
charge effect, but the lack of a gradient in the meniscus region argues
against this being significant.
Since the monomer is only 4 kDa, and you have meniscus depletion at 30
k, the stoichiometry of assembly is quite large... 50, 100... depending
on vbar. Unless the nonideality is accounted for, you will have
difficulty fitting this.
Best wishes,
Tom