[RASMB] aggregates data analysis

Joris Beld beld at org.chem.ethz.ch
Thu May 3 01:27:51 PDT 2007

Dear all,
Sorry for not replying earlier. First a few remarks:
- the 'take off' point goes down the cell at higher speeds
- 30krpm was too fast but since the monomeric species is only 4kDa and
we had no idea about the aggregating state we chose as a first speed 30krpm
- Thanks to Allen Minton for the reprint! This looks similar to what we
observe.
- The ionic strength of the solution is low (10mM) and it's a 10%
methanol/water solution
- ultrascan: I used the single-ideal-species model to fit the data as
well as the fixed MW model (from 10k-1MDa) and both do not fit well
since the curvature is very non-ideal

I have attached an example of a scan at equilibrium (two days) at
10krpm. The data is not great. Data has been obtained at 260nm, 20C,
120ul of liquid column and 30ul of FC43.

For me it seems like it could be two things:
- either this peptide/protein aggregates heterogeneously and forms a
whole bunch of different sized aggregates (which would make sense with
-for example- our CD measurements and it would make sense with the
designed characteristics of this peptide/protein)
- or the conditions are so non-ideal with the low salt concentration and
the methanol present that this influences the behavior too strongly.
I'm running now a SV run to see whether this behavior is also seen in
this experiment.
Thanks a lot for the help.
Best,

Joris