[RASMB] Sedimentation equilibrium question

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Mar 29 06:24:02 PDT 2007

Hello Sarah,

I have always found it a lot easier to look at composition of an
unknown sample by starting off with a velocity experiment. There are
lots of analysis methods available that can ascertain homogeneity, or,
if you have heterogeneity, give you a better idea about the extent of
the heterogeneity, and indicate much more convincingly the presence of
aggregates than equilibrium ever could.

In addition, interference is quite sensitive to focussing errors, and
should your machine be slightly out of focus you would have a hard time
trying to find out why your equilibrium data doesn't fit. Fitting of
velocity data is less sensitive to these errors.

I would recommend to run a couple of concentrations in velocity mode
(perhaps a high concentration interference experiment and a low concentration
sample measured at 230 nm - buffer should be transparent at this wavelength)
and then to look at both data sets with van Holde - Weischet analysis and
compare the integral distribution plots.

This will first tell you the extent of heterogeneity, and then allow
you to determine quite intuitively if your sample is reversibly self-
associating over the concentration range that you examined.

Feel free to contact me off line if you have additional questions.

Good luck, -Borries