[RASMB] parameters of beta-mercaptoethanol?

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 03:43:10 PDT 2007

Dear Joy

And - just one further point to add to Jo Butler's very correct statements
concerning BME - do make sure that any DTT you use is newly supplied to you
and made up immediately before use. Otherwise the stuff oxidises, and is
pretty much as bad as BME! Only much more expensive . . . .

Kind regards

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology
NCMH Business Centre
University of Nottingham
School of Biosciences
Sutton Bonington
Leicestershire LE12 5RD   UK

Tel:        +44 (0)115 951 6156
           +44 (0)116 271 4502
Fax:        +44 (0)115 951 6157
email:      arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Web:        www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh/business

Dear Joy,

Not directly answering your question, but just to point out that people
usually avoid beta-mercaptoethanol because of its UV absorption.  While
it may be fine with interference optics, it was no use with the older
absorbance, nor can one use D280 to get the initial protein
concentration.  this is why DTT is preferred - and this is in the
Sednterp parameters.

Jo

joylo at gate.sinica.edu.tw wrote:
> Dear all
>   I have the Sednterp (version 1.09) and it does not have any information for
beta-mercaptoethanol. I used two buffer systems. One included 50mM Tris and
2mM b-ME at pH 7.5, and another was 50mM Tris and 10mM b-ME at pH 7.5. Could
anyone help me get the parameters needed to include the b-ME used in my
buffers?
> Thanks
> Joy Lo

Dr P.J.G. Butler,