[RASMB] Working with glycerol solutions

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Feb 15 16:02:23 PST 2006

Hi Chris,

In the nice experiments shown in your attached document you made a very
important observation, which I would like to highlight in the discussion
about working in glycerol:  The experimental s-value decreases as the
glycerol concentration increases.

The point is that SEDFIT does not make any buffer corrections on the
s-values (with the exceptions of very few specialized models where a
notice to that effect will pop up).  This is despite the fact that you
enter vbar and rho in the parameter box for the distribution analysis.
Therefore, all values determined from SEDFIT will be treated as
experimental values, and should be corrected with the appropriate
correction factor.  The correction factor can be determined, as you did,
using SEDNTERP, or using a calculator function in the Options menu of
SEDFIT.

[The benefit from entering the correct viscosity, buffer density, and
vbar in the c(s) model of SEDFIT is that the frictional ratios will be
scaled to the familiar units, and that c(M) can give you mass values on
the correct scale, and if you're not interested in that, you can leave
this at the default values.]

Admittedly, that seems counter-intuitive, but is this way for reasons of
consistency between the different models, and to separate issues of
experimental conditions from the actual data analysis.  Also, for a
proper correction of the s-values, the vbar of the sedimenting particles
is required, which sometimes we may not know or may be different for
different species within a distribution of molecules.  To defer all
these issues, this correction is left up to the user to do.

This is different from SEDPHAT, which is does the buffer correction when
supplied with the correct density and viscosity values.  The reason why
we cannot avoid buffer correction here is that this is a platform for
global analysis.  (For example, you should be able to load all data sets
at once, and see if they fit a single s-value when you enter the proper
density and viscosity values for each experiment.)  In order to enable
global analysis, one needs to correct the values to a reference
condition (i.e. water, 20C).

Best,
Peter