[RASMB] Frict ratios and sedfit

Maluf, Nasib K nasib-maluf at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 1 11:45:04 PST 2006

Samantha,

Were the scattering studies done at much higher concentrations than the AUC studies?  Were the solution conditions used in both experiments identical?

My understanding of the c(s) method is that if you have a dominant peak, the transformation to c(M) from the optimized c(s) fit will give a good estimate of the molecular weight.  The reason for this is that the wt avg f/fo ratio is mostly reporting on the dominant peak.  This can change if some of the smaller peaks have significantly different individual f/fo values.

I am not too sure how you did your c(M) modeling.  Did you float f/f0 using the c(M) model?  In your original c(s) modeling, are you sure you had reached the minimum reduced chi square?

I have recently had good success with the c(s,f/f0) model.  This model is a lot like (if not exactly like?) doing a series of c(s) fits at different constrained values of f/f0, then applying the regularization in both the s and f/fo dimensions.  If your data consists of a predominant peak and is not too noisy, both the s dimension and the f/f0 dimension will be well defined, which allows you to estimate the average molecular weight of the main peak.  In this case, this estimate is not affected by the other peaks.  This is described in Brown and Schuck Biophysics, 2006.

Also, I think a f/f0 of 2.4 is absurdly high --  on the order of an unfolded protein.

Good luck,

Karl Maluf