[RASMB] 3mm centerpieces

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Thu Sep 14 15:07:30 PDT 2006

Hi-
The spacers for the 3 mm centerpieces place the centerpiece at the
mid-point of the cell, which is out of focus for the interference
system, which is focused at the 2/3 plane of a 12-mm centerpiece, with
sapphire windows and a solvent refractive index of water. Mis-focusing
will lead to mis-registration of the true radial position with the
apparent radial position in regions of the image with steep gradients in
the concentration (1). For the 3 mm centerpieces, the focal plane is
below the sample 2/3 plane, causing steeper fringes than might be
expected... i.e. analysis will reveal what appears to be a weak
association or a heterogeneous system. This problem would also affect
the absorbance system, but the absorbance optics cannot trace a steep
enough gradient.
So long as you keep gradients low enough (as I recall, about 50 fringes
displacement per mm), your data will be OK.
Best wishes,
Tom

(1)    D. A. Yphantis. Equilibrium Ultracentrifugation of Dilute
Solutions. Biochemistry 3:297-317, 1964.