[RASMB] RE: radial calibration [originally from SEDFIT user group]

John Philo jphilo at ap-lab.com
Wed May 10 09:40:50 PDT 2006

RASMBers, I am re-posting this thread from the SEDFIT user's list (which
concerns AUC hardware issues rather than SEDFIT itself) to RASMB at Walt
Stafford's suggestion.

John
-----------------------------
Mathew,

The issue of whether rotor stretching affects radial calibration is is a
very common source of confusion. Remember, the optical components that
measure the radial positions for both optical systems are permanently
mounted on the base plate of the instrument. Thus the rotor stretching does
not affect the measurement accuracy (yes, the sample actually moves out to
higher radii when the rotor stretches, and hence experiences higher forces,
but the optics correctly measure that fact).

The radial calibration is based on the accurate machining of the rotor and
the precision edges in the counterbalance. Based on that machining the edges
will be exactly 5.85 and 7.15 cm from the center of the rotor, but only when
the rotor has not stretched. If you calibrate on a stretched rotor, and
assign those positions as still being at 5.85 and 7.15 cm, the calibration
will be wrong.

John