[RASMB] Thoughts about convection, Identifying convection and preventing convection

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Fri Mar 24 13:12:10 PST 2006

Just a quick thought to add to David's musings-
If you accelerate quickly, a ~1 C temperature gradient will develop in
the cell from top to bottom. The temperature gradient disappears pretty
quickly, but may be the cause of some of the early scans having "odd"
residuals, especially towards the meniscus.
Jon Kingsbury did a series of experiments in my lab looking at the
thermal conductivity of epoxy, aluminum filled epoxy, carbon filled
epoxy and diamond dust filled epoxy. The aluminum, carbon and diamond
filled epoxies all had the same thermal conductivity (within
experimental error), and all were much better than plain epoxy. He also
looked at using carbon fiber filled epoxy, which had good thermal
characteristics but which weakened the epoxy (contrary to what we had
hoped for).
Our conclusion is: choice of carbon or aluminum filled epoxies should be
based on chemical compatibility, they do not differ in thermal
conductivity. In general, the carbon filled epoxy tends to be more inert
with biological samples. There is no passivation step for the carbon
filled centerpieces, whereas the aluminum-filled centerpieces require an
NaOH soak to remove any residual Al. The carbon and aluminum filled
centerpieces exhibit nearly equal strength, which is close to that for
the pure epoxy (the strongest).
Best wishes to all-
Tom

University of New Hampshire