[RASMB] DMSO

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 09:10:24 PST 2006

Norbert Muecke wrote:
> Dear RASMBs,
> we do have a solution with 0.5% DMSO.
> Is this a problem with standard Epon chacoal-filled cells?
> In the manual from Beckman it is written that DMSO interact with these cells.
>
> Will it be a problem in the Aluminium cells? Or with the gaskets? Or housing plugs?
> We do have this problem now and a fast answer would be very helpful.
>
> Thank you in advance
> Norbert

Hello Norbert,

Which manual says that DMSO is a problem? My copy of the
Beckman Chemical Resistances booklet (dated 2000) says that
Epon (epoxy resin/carbon composite) is "satisfactory" with
DMSO. I expect a dilute solution would be even less likely
to attack the plastic.

If you are using DMSO to carry something into the solution,
you may need to clean the cells thoroughly - it may adsorb
onto the walls or precipitate at the bottom.

Andrew

--
Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Head of the Molecular
Technology Facility               *   Interactions Laboratory
PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk