[RASMB] RE: DC/Dt vs. sedfit

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Thu Feb 16 15:01:51 PST 2006

Hi Walter,

I have several comments related to your message.  Sorry this is even longer
than your original message, but you raise several issues at once.

1) I think one should not dismiss the assumption of a constant frictional
ratio.  This is nothing else than the traditional power law s ~ M^(2/3),
just applied in a different form.  If you look at the literature, in the
absence of additional knowledge, the s ~ M^(2/3) rule has been applied
abundantly and very successfully in many studies, long before the c(s)
approach was available.  If you use that approximation in order to scale
diffusion and deconvolute diffusion from the sedimentation coefficient
distribution, this will give one a clear idea of the s-values and the
homogeneity of the material.  This is very important, since without knowing
about the homogeneity of the sample, building any more detailed model from
Lamm equation solutions can go wrong.

The constant frictional ratio approximation does not enter these pieces of
information.  There can be slight effects on the precise location of peaks
from trace components.  The frictional ratio assumption does enter the
estimated molar masses from c(M), and will affect the values if there are
multiple major peaks.

A detailed example of this question can be found in the second chapter of
the new AUC book that Dave announced recently.

2) If one actually looks at the residuals and the quality of fit with c(s),
one will readily be able to identify situations where c(s) fails.  In this
case, there are several models available to improve the fit, such as c(s)
with different f/f0 in different s-regions.  With an intelligent design of
the more advanced c(s) analysis, one can frequently overcome that
problem.  Another alternative is the hybrid discrete/continuous model of
SEDPHAT ( see below).

3)  Since you bring up this issue of constant frictional ratio so strongly,
I want to announce some as yet unpublished approach:

For cases where c(s) with the constant frictional coefficient does not fit,
and where neither the segmented c(s) nor the hybrid discrete/continuous
models seem to make sense, we have developed a new, two-dimensional
size-and-shape distribution c(s,f/f0) (or c(s,M) or other incarnations of
the same thing).  Within the limits of information from the experimental
data, it estimates a full molar mass distribution for each s-value.  LIke
the c(s) approach, it is using regularization to avoid over-interpreting
the data, and there is obviously a limit on the ability to get molar mass
information for trace components.  However, from suitably informative data
it will give very useful molar mass information without invoking
scale-relationships.  The paper with the details is not yet in press, and
the website information is not yet updated (we will post the supporting
information asap), but you can already get a preview of this function by
downloading the new SEDFIT version at
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/download.htm
For those who are familiar with c(s) and are interested in this, it should
not be too complicated to figure out how to use it.  The computation takes
somewhat longer than c(s), i.e. a few minutes on a fast PC, but then again
we don't need to fit for f/f0 anymore.  Some slight practical improvements
will still have to be implemented, for example, to make it work better with
signals from buffer salts, which are inconvenient to account for in the
c(s,M) distribution.

Based on c(s,f/f0) (or c(s,M)), we can subsequently give up the additional
M (or f/f0, or diffusion) dimension, and determine again something very
closely related to the c(s) distribution.  Both have very similar properties.

This entirely eliminates all f/f0 assumptions from the deconvolution of
diffusion, and the determination of a high resolution sedimentation
coefficient distribution.

I should mention that this has so far not prevented me from still using the
c(s) distribution as a standard tool examining folded proteins, simply
because for most protein samples that I study the assumption of constant
frictional ratio is very good compared to the information content of the
data, and gives an excellent fit.  In the absence of any other knowledge,
if the c(s) with constant f/f0 constraint gives a great fit, not much
additional information can be gained from relaxing the constraints in
c(s,M), except as a way to assess how well-defined or ill-defined the molar
mass (or diffusion) information is for a given set of experimental
data.  Obviously, c(s,M) should be very useful for other cases, for
example, systems with very heterogeneous material with regard to shape such
as you mentioned, or chemically heterogeneous mixtures,  where there are
obvious advantages for this new c(s,M) distribution (and this was the
motivation for the development).

Sorry to bring this up as a point that is difficult for you to argue
against, since unpublished, but you can give it a try and I suggest we can
discuss this further when all details are in the public domain (hopefully
very shortly; it will also be described as part of the upcoming workshops).

4)  Regarding the "effective time-point" problem in ls-g*(s), John Philo
has raised this issue in summer 2004 while I was on vacation and unable to
respond.  The question of the correct time-point is indeed a good question,
and I can only suggest to use, as a first approximation, the
midpoint.  With respect to dcdt, however, this problem exists in very much
the same way, even though it has not been advertised.

This is simply due to the fact that, strictly, dcdt - as an infinitesimal
quantity - cannot be determined from experimental data! You can only
approximate this with delta-c/delta-t with a finite time interval between
scans.  In fact, the relevant time-interval is not that between neighboring
scans, but the time passed between the first and last scan loaded (or half
that if you are not considering the averaging of the transformed
delta-c/delta-t traces).  Among all points in time during this delta-t, you
assign a particular choice of t - a single value to be "associated" with
the pattern.  It is quite obvious that this is exactly the same problem as
in ls-g*(s).  The only g*(s) method which would not have that problem is
dc/dr, the radial derivative taken truly from a single time-point.

For this reason, I believe your suggestion that dcdt gives a snapshot of
the boundary is false, since it is derived as delta-c/delta-t, with usually
a quite long time interval.   While ls-g*(s) can in fact take longer
time-intervals and steeper boundaries without getting into trouble with
artificial broadening of g*(s), this does not address the limitations of
regarding the diffusion as if it came from a single point in time, which
one needs to do when fitting Gaussians to get molar masses, and which
affects ls-g*(s) and dcdt equally.

As I've shown in Anal Biochem 320 (2003) 104-124
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12895474&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_DocSum
, you can (and I suggest dcdt users to do that) take the g(s*) distribution
and re-transform it into the original data space, and compare it with the
original data that were taken to generate g(s*).  In that way, you can see
how the g(s*) distribution relates to the original scans at the different
time points, and get a quantitative idea of the quality of fit of the g(s*)
to the RAW data at different time-points.  Quality of fit to the Gaussians
to the g(s*) curve does not give you that information, since by then the
many delta-c/delta-t traces have already been averaged.

[Another statement made by John Philo at the same occasion that I didn't
get to respond, either, was that there was no theory showing that ls-g*(s)
should be Gaussian for a single species.  In fact, this theory can be found
now on the website tutorial about ls-g*(s)
http://www.analyticalultracentrifugation.com/lsgofs_distribution.htm  - it
is based on the same Faxen solution of the Lamm equation that is used in
the argument that g(s*) from dcdt is Gaussian in a first approximation.]

To be sure, I am not advocating fitting g*(s) at all - be it from ls-g*(s)
or dcdt - since the Gaussian approximation is simply much less precise than
what is available with Lamm equation modeling, and there is no reason I can
see to not take advantage of that.

However, simply fitting one or a few discrete Lamm equation solutions can
be wrong if there is unrecognized heterogeneity in the boundary.  c(s) can
reveal this heterogeneity, and this is when c(M) gives a more reliable mass
value than a simple Lamm equation solution.  (This example is described in
detail in Methods Enzymol. 384 (2004)185-212)

If there are multiple species in significant amounts, and if the question
at hand is "what is the molar mass of these species", the most general
approach would be the new c(s,M) distribution.  However, this model is
quite flexible in that it actually gives you a full molar mass distribution
(at each s-value).  If the sample in question is a truly discrete mixture
of species, this knowledge can be used to your advantage, and in this case,
another good approach is the hybrid discrete/continuous model of
SEDPHAT.  In this method, you use the direct Lamm equation modeling to
describe the main species, but you still have the flexibility to account
for the trace species using segments of the continuous distribution.

5) For the issue of applying c(s) to reacting mixtures, the theoretical
foundation of this can be found in the two recent papers Biophys. J. 89
(2005) p 619-634 (http://www.biophysj.org/cgi/content/full/89/1/619) and p
651-666 (http://www.biophysj.org/cgi/content/full/89/1/651).  The first
paper deals with your first question - why deconvolution of diffusion
works, and the second one with the question how the c(s) peaks can be
interpreted.

Why discrete non-interacting Lamm equation solutions can be fit to reacting
systems is based on the constant bath theory, which was originally proposed
by Riesner and re-discovered by Claus Urbanke.  If you are concerned with
the frictional ratio assumption, try the two-dimensional c(s,f/f0).  In our
hands, so far, the experience is that both gives pretty similar
sedimentation coefficient distributions, although c(s) seems to be somewhat
more stable in this regard.  Regarding the quality of fit to reacting
systems, I would generally propose an rmsd of 0.01 fringes or 0.01 OD, or
at high concentration about 1% of the loading signal.  In my experience
that should get you in a good ballpark.  Note this is not quite as
stringent as in the c(s) analysis of non-interacting systems, and the
reason is that we're after the main peaks of the sedimentation coefficient
distribution.  In fact, if you can find that the main peaks of c(s) are
robust and well-represented for given data (for example, test different
P-values, data subsets), that would be a rational criterion for what is
good enough.  It would be useful to share experience in this
regard.  Clearly, don't use c(s) if even the best possible fit is still
very bad, since this usually indicates something else is going on that is
not accounted for (like signals from small degradation products or buffer
salts).  One should be careful, though, not to apply c(s) for situations
where there is hydrodynamic non-ideality, c(s) cannot handle that.

Basically, what c(s) gives you is peaks that approximate the asymptotic
reaction boundary, which can be quantitatively interpreted using
Gilbert-Jenkins theory.  As described in the first paper, application to
c(s) to the reaction boundary is a way to avoid having to interpret the
diffusional spread of the reacting system, which can be a significant
advantage over the direct Lamm equation modeling with reaction scheme, as
available also in SEDPHAT, or BCPFIT, or SEDANAL.  Reasons for that are
laid out in both papers - basically the diffusion spread can be
ill-conditioned to analyze and very susceptible to experimental
imperfections.  In any case, the underlying sedimentation coefficient
distribution from c(s) is very useful for the quantitative interpretation
of peak heights and peak locations.

By the way, for many reacting systems you will see even without
deconvolution of diffusion that there are the different boundary
components, as predicted by Gilbert-Jenkins theory.  After all, this effect
of reaction boundaries was observed already in the 1950s.  One could easily
extract the boundary amplitudes and s-values as determined from any other
boundary model that gives faithful boundary heights and weight-average
s-values of the reaction boundary (including DCDT), and plug it into the
Gilbert-Jenkins isotherm model of SEDPHAT.  This is just to clarify that
diffusional deconvolution and interpretation of the effective s-values you
get from c(s) applied to a reacting boundary are two different things.

Again, the question what to make out of these s-values from reacting
systems is at the core of the Gilbert-Jenkins theory, and has been solved,
for example, for a 1:1 reaction a long time ago in Nature 177 (1956)
853-854, and for more general systems in the 60's and 70's.  The only new
aspect about this part is that SEDPHAT can now fit these isotherms to
experimentally determined data (i.e. ASCII tables of amplitudes and
s-values of the reaction boundaries).

Regards,
Peter