[RASMB] RE: DC/Dt vs. sedfit

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Thu Feb 16 10:00:11 PST 2006

Hi Chris and Patrick,
	I'd like to point out that you can't get any diffusion
coefficient from ls-g(s*) because there is no time associated with
the patterns; so half of the important information is missing, even
though you get a good idea of everything that might be in the sample.
With c(s) on the other an accurate diffusion coefficient can be
obtained only if there is only a single species present. If there are
two or more species one ends up a single average frictional ratio
that applies to accurately to none of the species. So while you may
find dcdt inconvenient to use because of the effort required to get
an appropriate time span, that effort is well spent if you are trying
to get molar masses for several species in a mixture.

Remember that any given dcdt pattern is a snap-shot of the the
boundary at a given time (averaged over a relatively small interval)
so if the time span and speed are chosen wisely, the interesting
features of the boundary shape related to diffusional spread for a
non-interacting system can be preserved and extracted from the plots.
C(s) uses an average frictional ratio and applies it to the Lamm
solution at each value of the sedimentation coefficient. By doing
this it is only approximately accounting for diffusion. To extent
that a single frictional ratio can be used to represent the diffusion
of a mixture, it works fairly well. But it fails miserably in cases
where that approximation does not hold. For example, I have spent a
lot of time working with coiled-coils of various lengths; these are
derived from myosin tails, paramyosin and tropomyosin, which have
very different axial ratios and therefore significantly different
frictional ratios. And more recently I have been working with T4 tail
fiber fragments in mixtures. C(s) is not appropriate to use and fails
very badly in this case because the axial ratios of the fragments are
so different.

I think in general one must be very careful in applying a technique
with an assumption like a constant frictional ratio. This is somewhat
like to trying to estimate molecular weights from gel filtration
chromatography in which it is assumed that your unknown protein has
the same value of f/fo as all the proteins used to standardize the
column. It works in most cases pretty well but when is doesn't work
you will not be aware of its failure unless you resort to a more
rigorous direct method. So you might as well use a rigorous method as
soon as you know you have more than one species. For example, in a
sample of myosin rod  (about 20 x 1800 A) in which irreversible dimer
formation is observed, there are several ways in which the dimers can
become associated - two extreme cases are end-to-end (like tropomysin
association) and side-by-side as seen in initial stages of
paracrystal formation.

And I think the same argument applies to interacting systems. C(s)
takes no account of the boundary spreading caused by reversible
interactions. As Peter Schuck has pointed out, the peaks one obtains
in c(s) plots with interacting systems do not correspond to any of
the species present in the system - unless one is at the extremes -
either all dissociated or all associated.

Attempts to deconvolute the diffusion from a reaction boundary with
c(s) are based on the application of a least squares fitting
procedure that fits the reaction boundary to a model comprising
overlapping non-interacting components with a constant frictional
ratio. I have trouble understanding why one would expect that fitting
data with a model that is obviously incorrect (i.e. does not take the
reversible reaction into account) could possible return meaningful
parameters. Although it seems to work well enough in some cases, it
is not clear what criteria for a bad fit would be used to identify
those cases in which it doesn't work.  One would expect (and indeed
sees in simulations) the residuals to exhibit systematic variations
resulting from the lack of fit to the shape of the reaction boundary.

Walter Stafford

p.s. I would recommend direct fitting using Lamm equation solutions
for both molar mass determination and characterization of interacting
system. These other methods dcdt, c(s) ls-g(s) are the first step in
understanding what's in your sample. Both dcdt and c(s), if properly
applied within their respective limitations, can be used for molar
mass determinations. Both can be used to get accurate weight average
sedimentation coefficients for isotherm analysis of interacting
systems. More detailed and sophisticated analysis requires more
powerful approaches, and both SEDPHAT and SEDANAL, among others, can
be used for more complicated models - BUT always with the least
squares caveats kept in mind -that one must have be fitting the data
to the correct model, the residuals must be random and non-systematic
in order to extract meaningful parameters. And once the caveats are
satisfied one should apply an appropriate procedure to estimate
confidence limits for the fitted parameters.

At 10:24 -0600 2/16/06, Chin, Christopher wrote:
>Dear Patrick,
>
>Thank you for asking. I have the same feeling as you do and that is the
>motivation for me to undertake and initial this project on my spare
>time.
>
>All the best,
>
>Chris

>Christopher Chin
>
>Manager, Macromolecular Assembly Core
>
>Sealy Center for Structural Biology and
>Molecular Biophysics
>
>Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
>
>5134 MRB. rt1055
>
>UTMB, Galveston, TX  cchin at utmb.edu,
>
>409-772-1693, efax 630-604-3416

-----
Walter Stafford
mailto:stafford at bbri.org
direct dial:    617-658-7808
receptionist:  617-658-7700
-----
Boston Biomedical Research Institute... Today's Research for Tomorrow's Health.
Please visit us at www.bbri.org

-----