[RASMB] density of L-arginine solution

Steve Shire shire.steve at gene.com
Sat Feb 11 12:40:18 PST 2006

Dear Fumio,
      One other suggestion. Anton-Parr makes a small hand held
viscometer based on the oscillating quartz tuning fork. This is
actually a simplified version of the densitometer that has been used to
determine vbar values. Although it will only give results to 3
significant figures that is sufficient for use in sedimentation work.
I'm not sure how much this instrument is currently but I would guess it
is less than $500. The best thing is you can get reliable
determinations in less than 5 minutes of work, We routinely use it for
all our sedimentation work. Hope this is of some use.
         Steve
On Feb 10, 2006, at 8:34 PM, Fumio Arisaka wrote:

> Dear John,
>
> Thank you.  I also thank Jack who suggested me to measure it,
> but for the moment, I take the easier way.
>
> John, I was able to get a copy of that article you listed.
> It indeed gives the vbar at molar concentrations between 0.2 M and 1.5
> M.
> At 1.0 M, where we measured SV, vbar for arginine HCl is 0.690.
> I calculate the density of the buffer by the equation:
>
>      d = d0 + (1-vbarrho)C
>
> I am not sure about the accuracy with 1 M solution, but I guess
> this is the only way to do unless we measure it.
> John, if you have any comments on this, I would appreciate it.
>
> Actually, I need the viscosity of the arginine solution as well.
> Right now, I am using the viscosity of Guanidine HCl for it, but that
> of arginine may be quite different from this, I am afraid.
>
> Could anybody tell me where I can find the data (viscosity of Arg)?
>
> Thanks in advance.  Fumio
>

> At 21:05 06/02/09 -0800, you wrote:
>> Fumio, I believe you will find a value for the partial specific
>> volume of
>> arginine (the amino acid, not the residue vbar in peptides) in the
>> following
>> paper, from which you can calculate the density of arginine solutions
>> first order in concentration).
>>
>> Kita, Y., Arakawa, T., Lin, T. Y., and Timasheff, S. N. (1994).
>> Contribution
>> of the surface free energy perturbation to protein-solvent
>> interactions.
>> Biochemistry 33, 15178-15189.
>>
>> John

Steven J. Shire, Ph.D.
Staff Scientist and Group Leader
Late Stage Pharmaceutical and Device Development
MS #96A
Genentech, Inc.
1 DNA Way
S. San Francisco, CA 94080