[RASMB] Theory of S moments

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Wed Feb 8 13:32:14 PST 2006

I'd like to add some information to these references.  For those
interested, the journal has a complete set of issues online as pdf at
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03014622 (Sorry I can't see
from here if that's freely accessible or if it requires a subscription).

1) the first paper shows theoretical relationships between the different
s-values, but does not address the question how one would determine those
values experimentally, except to the extent of determining sw, eliminating
hydrodynamic concentration dependent sedimentation, and using sz =
d(c*sw)/dc, which is a relationship that holds for monomer-n-mer
self-associations.

It is important that here sz is calculated from the
concentration-dependence of sw.

A similar but a little bit more elaborate  formula is given for the
number-average s-value, which can be related to an integral over the
concentration-dependence sw(c) (weighted with the weight-average molar mass).

2) in the application paper, sz is calculated, again, from the experimental
dependence of sw on concentration, using above formula.

 From a modern point of view, one could argue that compared to the direct
modeling of the concentration-dependence of sw(c) directly, the
differentiation of sw(c) will not add any new information.  However, at the
time, probably it was a good question to ask if the derivative of the
weight-average is a good quantity to analyze, maybe having in mind another
experimental method to determine it more directly (such as difference
sedimentation).

More to the point of our discussion, I think it is a misconception to
identify the z-average or number-average value derived in theory from the
concentration-dependence of the weight-average with those 'formal'
z-averages and number-averages that one would get from integrating the
sedimentation coefficient distributions.  This is not a criticism on the
original papers, since at that time the g(s*) distribution have not been
widely used (and neither dcdt nor ls-g*(s) was around at that time), and
the authors do not comment on sedimentation coefficient
distributions.  This is simply a problem of making unvalidated assumptions
about the properties of 'modern' sedimentation coefficient distributions.

In particular with g*(s) (be it in the incarnation of g(s*) via dcdt or
equally with ls-g*(s) or dcdr), we've seen from the previous discussion
that there are significant problems with the accuracy in the presence of
the diffusionally-broadened distributions.  c(s) may perform better, but
the number- and z-averages would still not be even close to rigorous except
for trivial cases (in contrast to sw-averages).   Some may be willing to
accept these values, and in some cases (like large species with low
diffusion) it may work OK, but to my knowledge it still has not been
clarified in the literature if there is error amplification when equating
the averages with the 'ideal' theoretical averages, how that would affect
the final results of an analysis, and when it works and when it doesn't.

Regarding the question: Has this method been recently applied to
sedimentation experiments?  (Not to be confused with the analysis of
sw(c)!)  Interestingly, the ISI Web of Science has a record for the second
paper.  It lists a total of 3 citations in other works:  1) in a 1988
NMR-paper on lactoglobulin, without reference to any AUC work; 2) Jack
Correia's review (p.97) , where he discusses the z-average from g(s*) as a
potentially useful quantity to analyze interactions.  In this review, in
reference to the practical paper Jack stated "while this technique has been
available for 25 years it has only been applied to simulated data and a
single test case, b-lactoglobulin" (this was written in the year 2000), and
the use of moments to aid the reliability of the analysis (of a
ligand-induced selfassociation) is referenced by Jack as "Correia et al,
manuscript in preparation".  3) in our own work (Dam et al., the recent BJ
paper on c(s) and Gilbert-Jenkins theory Biophys J. 89(2005)651-666), in
which we clarified (p664) in reference to Jack's suggestion that the
Weirich and Beckerdite papers actually use sz = d(c*sz)/dc, not the
'formal' integrals over a sedimentation coefficient distribution.

The reason for making this further comment is that I feel, at this point in
time, in the absence of further publications on this topic, the new AUC
users would be misguided to look at these papers as the way to analyze
self-associating systems in conjunction with the modern sedimentation
coefficient distributions.  We're fortunate to have Lamm equation solutions
at hand (which Jack also stated in his previous comment), and we can get
good and rigorous analyses based on the concentration-dependence of sw
directly.

In terms of using this approach for initial model-building and deriving
starting estimates for the rigorous analyses, which is what I believe Jack
suggests, this is of course a reasonable idea, since getting hints for
possible parameter ranges is always a good thing.  However, in the final
analysis one would have to float these values anyway, in order not to
introduce bias.  The situation is more tricky if that preliminary analysis
is used to guide model selection.  I think without a theoretical framework
for what the quality of these initial estimates would be, one may be better
off using the more rigorous methods and examining (and perhaps accepting)
the flexibility of the models, for example for sw(c), in order not to end
up biasing the analysis and excluding realistic scenarios.

Peter