[RASMB] averages from SV

Joachim Behlke behlke at mdc-berlin.de
Tue Jan 31 06:06:48 PST 2006

Hi Holger and others,

It is not the intension to lengthen the discussion about the average
sedimentation coefficients but the question to Holger is for what
purpose the weight average sedimentation coefficients are needed.

As Peter has mentioned the weighted s-values are useful for
estimating binding constants (e. g. rapid association equilibria).
If you have a system of independend species a good approach is to
use the s-value determined with DC/DT or DC/DR as starting values
for a normal fit of the original data. Our program LAMM can do this
in one run. Up to four independent species can be treated. In our
last version it is not (more) necessary to make the data points
equidistant by interpolation (only for absorbance data). That means
the fit takes place with the unchanged, original data.
When no resolution is obtained with the DC/DT or DC/DR method,
also not for 60 krpm and long column the exact solution is very
difficult. The new LAMM version will be send in shortness to the
RASMB. This version also calculate weighted s-values if the
DC/DR approach is chosen. The calculation takes place with the
original, smoothed data trace second moment method.

Regards,

Joachim