[RASMB] averages from SV

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Jan 27 09:05:16 PST 2006

Just to set the record straight, Jack has apparently misinterpreted my paper
(Anal. Biochem. 279, 151 (2000). It does not say that averages higher than
Sw are too noisy to be useful, nor did it attempt to demonstrate that by
simulations. First, the work of Jack and others clearly shows that to be
false. Second, if that were my opinion, why would I have bothered to develop
a new algorithm that gives better estimates of the errors in Sw, Sz, etc. or
to include those computations in my software?

What the paper points out is that when using the standard way of calculating
the error bars for the g(s*) distribution (the original Stafford algorithm),
as you include more scans in the computations the error bars do not reduce
as rapidly as one would expect from fundamental signal/noise considerations
(i.e. the standard algorithm overestimates the error bars and thus
underestimates the true precision of Sw, Sz, etc.). The revised algorithm
described in that paper, and optionally implemented in DCDT+, partially
corrects this problem.

Also I should clarify that I was wrong to imply in my earlier response to
Holger that one cannot calculate a formal Sn from g(s*), c(s), etc.  My
program DCDT+ does not calculate that one simply because no one has ever
asked for it, but in response to this discussion I will implement that one
too in the next release.

John