[RASMB] Elevated temperature operation with a turbomoledcular pump.

John E Harlan john.e.harlan at abbott.com
Fri Mar 11 12:46:00 PST 2005

Sounds like a pretty nice improvement.  Depending on cost, I would be
interested.

John E. Harlan
Advanced Technology
Abbott Laboratories
Dept. R46Y AP10-2
100 Abbott Park Road,
Abbott Park IL  60064-6100

(847) 938-4278   Tel.
(847) 935-4994   Fax
john.e.harlan at abbott.com

Walter Stafford <stafford at bbri.org>
Sent by: rasmb-admin at server1.bbri.org
03/11/2005 11:18 AM

        To:     rasmb at server1.bbri.org
        cc:
        Subject:        [RASMB] Elevated temperature operation with a turbomoledcular pump.

Dear RASMB-ers

        I have been testing a turbomolecular pump as a replacement for the
standard diffusion pump on the XL-I. I am writing to report the results of
that experiment.

On my machine, with the standard diffusion pump installed, I have not been
able to run above about 23 degrees without having serious fogging of the
interference condensing lens after about 15 minutes, making it impossible
to take data.

About a month ago, with the help of the Beckman Serviceman and folks from
the Axiden Division of Alcatel Vacuum Technology {http://www.adixen-usa.com/}, we installed an ATP80 TMP in place of the diffusion pump. Other than a
flange that had to be machined to mate the TMP to the diffusion pump
flange, it was a direct replacement. The original rough pump was used to
back up the TMP.  see:
{http://www.adixen.com/all/dyn/products/products.php?id_prod=20&lg=us}

So far the results have been quite remarkable. After the first test of
running for 4 days at 40 degrees, the optics were clean. The chamber was
actually cleaner after the run than before. The TMP seemed to have removed
all the residual oil that we were unable to remove after replacing the
diffusion pump. It pumps down to 3-5 micons in less than 5 minutes and
ultimately to about 1-2 microns. The fringe patterns seem to be more
stable (not sure exactly why, but I was informed that the regular
diffusion pump heater normally cycles on and off; the flexing associated
with that may explain it).

We use it routinely now for all runs and couldn't be happier with it.

Several labs have expressed an interest in installing one on their
machines.

However, Beckman will not support the pump or provide one as standard
equipment unless there is sufficient interest. A proper, Murphy-proof
installation would require a firmware change and field service support to
allow it to be included under the service contract and warranty.

I would like to take a survey of those who might be interested, so that we
can convey that expression of interest to Beckman.

If you have an interest and think that running at higher than 20 degrees
or higher precision might be useful to you, please respond to this email
by replying to the RASMB. I'll collect the responses and comments and
forward them to the folks at Beckman.

It has opened new vistas for our research.

Thanks
Walter

Walter F. Stafford III, Ph.D.
Analytical Ultracentrifugation Research Laboratory
Senior Scientist
Boston Biomedical Research Institute
64 Grove Street
Watertown, MA  02472-2829