[RASMB] membrane protein LS contribution

Ewa Folta-Stogniew stogniew at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 20:09:50 PST 2005

--- Ariel Lustig <ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> Dear colleauges,
> Mainly for  those who are  interested in membrane
> proteins.
>  For the  determination of  of  the  molecular
> masses of  membrane  proteins (MP) are used
> different methodes,
> some are complicated  to  run  or /and to calculate
> the the  protein-only  of the detergent complex.
(...)

> L-Scattering give only  averages.

just a comment on LS contribution to analysis of
membrane proteins; it can do much better than detect
aggregates and it can do that in tima comparable to
regular SEC analysis.

HAYASHI,Y., H.MATSUI & T.TAKAGI. 1989. Membrane
protein molecular weight determined by low-angle laser
light-scattering photometry coupled with
high-performance gel chromatography Methods Enzymol.
172:514-28.: 514-528.

YERNOOL,D., O.BOUDKER, E.FOLTA-STOGNIEW & E.GOUAUX.
2003. Trimeric subunit stoichiometry of the glutamate
transporters from Bacillus caldotenax and Bacillus
stearothermophilus Biochemistry 42: 12981-12988.

WEI,Y., H.LI & D.FU. 2004. Oligomeric State of the
Escherichia coli Metal Transporter YiiP J. Biol. Chem.
279: 39251-39259.

Ewa