[Rasmb] Tween 80 effect on c(s)

Peter Schuck pschuck at helix.nih.gov
Thu Sep 22 22:54:00 PDT 2005

Hi Chin,
I would probably try it without Tween in the reference buffer.  In
general, the size of detergent micelles can depend on the solvent and
experimental conditions, and even though you didn't say what you're
buffer is, some deviations from the 2S you quote would not be
surprising. I assume you're referring to s20w values, otherwise it will
depend even more on the experimental conditions.  Have you looked at
what happens with the Tween without the protein?  Also, at 5 mg/ml
protein we usually cannot be so stringent about the quality of fit,
since we should expect significant non-ideality (I assume since you're
talking about peaks, you look at a s-value distribution, for which
there's to my knowledge no correction for the non-ideality). This effect
would give you lower s-values, in addition to distorting the boundary
shapes, and therefore limit the amount of detail we can currently
extract from the sedimentation velocity experiment.
Peter