[RASMB] Responses to 'How about an online library?'

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Fri Jan 28 15:09:00 PST 2005

Fellow RASMBers -

A couple of days ago I broached the idea of an RASMB-administered online
library of "key references" that could be made available to new
investigators asking basic questions about the theory and practice of
analytical ultracentrifugation.  Several individuals offered to help set up
such a library, and several interesting comments were received.  Let me
summarize these, since I don't know how many were broadcast to the entire
group.

1. There exists an extensive online collection of AUC references at UNH,
but copyright issues regarding open distribution need to be resolved.  (Tom
Laue)

2. PDFs of a variety of book chapters can be made available.  (Jack Correia)

3. The online library would be particularly valuable for older literature
not available on current databases.  However it is difficult to define a
"key publication" and the library should be open to all submissions.  Each
article should be accompanied by a summary paragraph that would be in a
separate database searchable by keywords. (Peter Schuck)

I personally don't want to get into the business of adminstering a library
of hundreds of references.  Too much work!  How about a library of reviews
and selected book chapters?  That should narrow it down, while at the same
time providing guidance to newcomers.

Allen Minton