[RASMB] charcoal-epon centrepieces and organic solvents

Beld, Joris beld at org.chem.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 27 04:13:02 PST 2005

Dear all,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

Related to this experiment, I have a question about the resistance of the charcoal-epon centrepieces to organic solvents. I have the Chemical Resistances table from Beckman and it says 'Satisfactory resistance' to chloroform, but in the Analytical Rotor, Cells and Counterbalance manual it says that chloroform swells the epon too much and should not be used. Has anyone experience using an organic solvent in these centerpieces?

Kind regards,

Joris Beld
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
Hilvert Group