[RASMB] Weighted fitting residuals bigger than 1

Jin, Hongjun hongjun-jin at tamu.edu
Fri Jul 2 16:59:00 PDT 2004

Dear Collegues,

We are now using Bekeman Origin 3.78 to analysis our sedemetation
equilibruem data, but we have a question regarding the high residuals of the
weighted fitting. We all know the OD absorbance usually is good around 0.1-
1.0, but why do we always get the range of the residuals over 1.0 or -1.0?
The randomness distribution seem randomly well, but when I check the
published papers, they normally have a residuals rangle around 0.02~ -0.02.
WhenI use non-weighted fitting, the same data will give me a pretty low
residuals range, but I do not have the 95% confidence intervals, which is
not accurate from the previous discussions in RASMB.

Does anybody have similar experiences or know how to explain this, please
let us know! Thanks  a lot!

Hongjun Jin

Department of biochemistry & Biophysics
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77840
Bio/bio Rm 237
lab phone: (979)-845-5617

email: hongjun-jin at tamu.edu