[RASMB] Keeping proteins off metal surfaces

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 15 11:59:00 PDT 2004

Greetings, RASMBers -

Can anyone help me with this one? It is notorious that proteins solutions
are to be kept from contact with metal surfaces, so far as is practicable.
Supposing however one has some kit - even so basic as a precision syringe -
from which a metal component cannot be eliminated. And a metal-sensitive
protein to work with. What is the best way to minimise possible interaction?

Obviously one can sling in EDTA and hope. But maybe one does not want EDTA
in one's precious system. Is there anything you can coat the metal with?
Using silicone probably makes things worse rather than better. Theoretically
putting a negative surface charge onto the metal ought to be helpful - but
although there is known technology for doing this with (say) PSL spheres,
how would one do it with steel? Can one coat with a polyglutamate, for
example?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The problem is I know a notoriously
unsolved one in relation to medical stents, but perhaps there is an approach
which they have overlooked.

Regards to all

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe