[RASMB] glycosylation in sigma value

pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Apr 5 05:00:01 PDT 2004

Dear Satinder,

Yes you can usually get a reasonable estimate by calculating in the
contribution of the carbohydrate provided you do know the amount (and
averages will simply smear things a little).  Of course, back on my hobby
horse, the best way is to measure (d-rho/d-c) for the protein at constant
chemical potential.
We did this for the C-reactive protein from Limulus polyphemus over 10
years ago and got a very good result.
(Tennent, G. A., Butler, P. J. G., Hutton, T., Woolfitt, A. R., Harvey, D.
J., Rademacher, T. W. & Pepys, M. B. (1993). Molecular characterization of
Limulus polyphemus C-reactive protein.  I. Subunit composition. Eur. J.
Biochem. 214, 91-97.)

Yours,

Jo

--On Thursday, April 1, 2004 7:53 pm -0500 Satinder  Singh