[RASMB] how large a species is practical?

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 05:57:01 PST 2004

Hi Joel

I endorse entirely what John Phil says. I would however have a certain
preference for using the least squares g(s) from SEDFIT as a way of
characterising the distribution, which from what you describe will be a
continuous one.

If all else fails, in respect of having enough time to acquire a decent data
set, then adding (say) glycerol to increase the viscosity would work. But of
course the guy with the sample might not want such an additive present! And
if you are using interference optics then you should be able to grab plenty
of data over a short time period in any case.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology
NCMH Business Centre
University of Nottingham
School of Biosciences
Sutton Bonington
Leicestershire LE12 5RD   UK

Tel:        +44 (0)115 951 6156
            +44 (0)116 271 4502
Fax:        +44 (0)115 951 6157
email:      arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
            arthur.rowe at connectfree.co.uk (home)
Web:        www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh/business

hi all
I have had an industry chap come to me and want to explore the possibility
of using the AU as a means to check the quality and reproducibility of
preparations of an adjuvant (a mixture of stuff including saponins and
cholesterol that is added to antigens when injecting them - they apparently
help to promote an immune response to the antigen). The adjuvant forms
aggregates that appear to be of the order of 1 MDa - too big to be retained
on a sizing column.
My question is: am i likely to be able to record velocity data on such a
species. I realise that a quantitative analysis of the data may not be
feasible if these aggregates exhibit a wide range of sizes, but it may
simply be enough to discern differences between different preparations, for
his purposes.

Have any of you worked on such large things before, and/or on heterogeneous
systems such as these? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers
joel

Dr Joel Mackay
NHMRC Senior Research Fellow
School of Molecular and Microbial Sciences
Building G08
University of Sydney,
Sydney, NSW 2006
Australia