[RASMB] Amendment

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 12:04:01 PST 2004

"I cannot see that you get a 'better fix' on non-ideality in SE than you do
in SV. In both cases there are ball-park values you can use for globular
systems (e.g.  ks ~ 5-6; 2BM ~ 8-10). But for SV you can compute ks from
molecular parameters (frictional ratio etc), which you certainly cannot do
for 2BM.  The latter is also more prone to charge effects."

The above is part of my recent mail to RASMB. A bit of
clarification/amendment is called for. When I wrote "molecular parameters" I
should have written "solution/hydrodynamic parameters" - as one can of
course compute the excluded volume contribution to BM from 3D information
(Steve Harding, Rallison). And the very last statement may be true, but
there is a distinct lack of solid published evidence on the 'hydrodynamic'
side. I guess it is the sort of worthy thing we all think we will do one day
. . .

Regards to all

Arthur

--