[RASMB] Help with determining the presence of dimer in a sample

rmf rmf at uvic.ca
Fri Feb 13 03:03:00 PST 2004

Hi there,

I am relatively new to the field of analytical ultracentrifuge and in
particular
to sedimentation equilibrium and I was wondering if anyone has time to
answer a few of my questions.

I have been performed an sedimentation equilibrium run a carbohydrate
binding protein .

I have run three samples; the native protein, the protein +triose and
protein + hexose. I used six-channel cells using concentrations of O.D. 3,
6 and 8 (measured at 280nm) and scanned (using absorbance - 280 nm)
after running the cells at 25,000 ; 35,000 and 45,000 rpm for 24 hours
each.

We believe the that protein may for a dimer in the third sample where it
binds to hexose.

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best method or technique or
model for determining if a dimer is present and any other information I
can possibly obtain from these sample (ie. homogeneity with respect to
Mw, association constants, etc.) ?

Or suggestions to experimental design?

 I am currently using Ultrascan 6.2 for data analysis

Thanks, if  you can provide me with any help or tips or if you point me to
good references.

Ron Finn
Department of Biochemistry/Microbiology
University of Victoria