[RASMB] help for analyzing Data

Lin Fang lfang1 at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 26 20:49:01 PST 2004

Hi,

I have some difficulty in analyzing my data using UltraScan. So I
attached my data document to see whether I can get help for analyzing
it. I zipped the folder into a .rar document. so u can unzip it with a
winrar or winzip.

The following is some description for the experiment:

Purpose: My protein,so called H, supposingly to form oligermer. Maybe
dimer, trimer or even more. So I want to know the oligermer status of
this protein in solution. I want to do equilibrium analytical
ultracentrifugation to find it out. Even better, I might be able get
Kd from the experiment.

Condition:
buffer, 150mM KAc 5mM MgAc  Vbar of H=0.7343 density=0.9988
wavelength=280nm and 230nm
cell7, [H]=20uM
cell2, [H]=30uM
cell3, [H]=40uM
cell4, [H]=20uM with 200nM ATP
cell5, [H]=30uM with 200nM ATP
cell6, [H]=40uM with 200nM ATP
I did cell 4, 5, 6 with additon of ATP to see the effect of ATP on the
oligermer status of protein H.

My problem:
1. scan of 230nm looks very funky. so I just skipped thoes
2. with 280nm, first, the diagonostic told me a lot of scan are not
good. but I cannot understand what problem they mean. for example,
they said the slope at the end is too small
3. with scans the diagnostic agree to be valid, I run all the model
the program have, but none of them give a satisfying fit, ie the
residual are too big and the program refuse to do further analysis.

I am writing this down and also attach my data in hope that somebody
can be kind to take a rough look at it and give me your precious
suggestion. That will be do a lot of good for me to understand this
technique. Thanks a lot and sorry for bothering.