[RASMB] sedimentation

Kristian Schilling schilling at nanolytics.de
Fri Oct 24 08:03:00 PDT 2003

Arthur,

we have sometimes been confronted with very large (and inorganic! - yugh -
rho > 4 g/ml) particles and have tried all sorts of tricks, like increasing
density as you suggested, or measuring near freeze-point to increase
viscosity... We have also found that you can run the XLI at 1100 instead of
3000 rpm. But according to our experience, sedimentation is not as much a
problem as detection. You can forget absorbance optics with large
particles, and even interference will be difficult when most laser light is
scattered away instead of reaching the camera and creating nice
interference patterns... With particles > 300 nm, the dispersion usually
gets so turbid that laser light will not pass through. If you dilute
sufficiently, you have practically no mass concentration left to make fringes.

Irene, I think 300 nm is a pretty good value for an upper limit. Of course,
an AUC equipped with turbidity optics can handle particles up to the µm
range, but I think only roughly three of us (not me!) have that advantage.

Cheers,
Kristian

Nanolytics
Gesellschaft fuer Kolloidanalytik mbH