[RASMB] sedimentation

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Oct 24 07:48:00 PDT 2003

Hi Irene

There is a long history of using the AUC to look at PSL particles, starting
(I think) with a lovely paper by Cheng & Schachman (1955) J Polym Sci 16:19+
which established what is still the most precise reference data for
validating the application of Stokes Law to small spheres, as well as
characterising the s-c dependence of such spheres.

As the density of PSL is quite close to 1, you can get away with looking
much larger PSL particles in the AUC than you could with denser (e.g.
protein-based) material. As you have the freedom to adjust the density
difference and make it even smaller by adding (say) salt or deuterium oxide
to the solvent, I doubt that there is any real upper limit to the size of
spheres you can cope with, when running the AUC at low speeds.

All best wishes for your work

Regards

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe