[RASMB] Lamp Assembly

Timothy R. Mack mack at cabm.rutgers.edu
Thu Sep 18 14:28:01 PDT 2003

Hello,
My question concerns the absorbance optics of the XL-I. I was initially
concerned with the level of noise in my data. A wavelength scan was
carried out using an empty double-sector centerpiece (without windows) and
the intensity was low (maximum intensity was 6500 units at 440 nm). The
lamp was subsequently cleaned and the intensity increased dramatically
(maximum intensity is 25000 units at 240nm). However, when the lamp
assembly (the black cylinder that houses the lamp) was visually inspected
there was a very deep (about 2mm deep and about 0.75 cm long) gouge in it.
It was immediately apparent that this was caused by the gate that covers
the front fan that sits just behind the lamp assembly. Has anyone ever
seen this before? Is it normal to permanently remove the gate that covers
the fan? The Beckman service person cut off the portion of the gate that
contacts the assembly but the level of noise in the data did not seem to
decrease. Could there be a more systemic problem present? Any advice would
be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tim

Timothy R. Mack
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine
679 Hoes Lane
Piscataway, New Jersey 08854-5627

Phone: (732) 235-4206
Fax: (732) 235-5289