[RASMB] epon and acetonitrile

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue May 27 18:45:00 PDT 2003

RASMB,

Recently I've had a couple of clients wanting me to run velocity samples in
TFA/acetonitrile/water mixtures with up to 50% acetonitrile. However,
according to the Beckman materials compatibility guide, epon has
"unsatisfactory" resistance to 100% acetonitrile.

So have any of you actually tried and gotten away with acetonitrile mixtures
in epon centerpieces (either aluminum or charcoal filled), and if so what
percentage acetonitrile?

[Ignore the issue of whether it makes any sense to do runs under such
denaturing conditions---as they say, the customer is always right!]

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences,

John Philo
Alliance Protein Laboratories