[RASMB] Help! No model fits my sedimentation eq data

Guinevere A. Murphy Guinevere.Murphy at Colorado.EDU
Tue Feb 25 21:49:00 PST 2003

Dear RASMB,

I am (a novice at) working with equilibrium sedimentation data for a 16.9
kDa protein (E280=2680 /M cm), collected at three concentrations of 56, 94
and 136 microMolar. I collected data at four speeds, 20, 25, 30 and 35
krpm. The protein is a long dimeric coiled coil, so I expect to have a
monomer-dimer equilibrium. There is a possibility of higher order
structure, so a mono-dimer-tetramer equilibrium would not be out of the
question, either.

I have been analyzing the data using MacNonlin. For the two 20K data sets
I collected, I can locally fit the lowest 56 micromolar data to a single
ideal component model, (initial guesses: sigma=1.8 (dimer), deltaY=3E-3,
and lnA=-2.6) I get nice random residuals, and a sqrt variance of ~4E-3.
The fitted sigma corresponds to a 29 kDa component (between the expected
16.9 and 33.8 monomer and dimer MWs).

If I fit to a monomer-dimer equilibrium for this data set, I also get
reasonable sqrt variances (4E-3) and nice random-looking residuals, and I
get a Kd of 28 microMolar (using the 1/Ka, after converting the Ka from
absorbance units with the formula Ka(M)=[Ka(AU)*E(monomer)*(1.2cm
path)]/2). I view this high number with skepticism, both because it is
pretty high, for what I might expect, and because I am only fitting one
concentration and speed.

So, I would like to add in other data sets, however I find that I am
unable to fit any of the other data to a reasonable model in a manner
which produces anything like random residuals, and the sqrt variances are
all high (well above 1E-2). This is true for fitting to single ideal
component, monomer-dimer, monomer-trimer, dimer-tetramer and many others
that are not as obvious.

There are two observations regarding local fitting of one of the data sets
that I am having trouble with that I think might be suggesting nonspecific
aggregation of the protein at higher concentrations, and later time points
(20K was collected first):

a.) If I vary B, the second virial coefficient, I do get a random
distribution of residuals, and sqrt variance of 3E-3, but the value B gets
fitted to is -0.57. I know positive values of B suggest nonideality, but
does negative mean it is ideal and just isn't being fitted to the proper
model?

b.) If I set sigma=1.9 (for dimer) and don't vary it, and then vary
N2(init guess at 2, so init guess is for dimer-tetramer equilibrium) lnK2
(init guess at 8), lnA (init guess -3), delY (init guess 7E-2), then I get
the most reasonable fit to the data I've seen, and the residuals are not
totally random, but more dispersed and random than any other model, with a
sqrt variance of 6E-3.  However, the fitted parameters go to N2=17.5, and
lnK2=9.5!

This result suggests to me that either I've got one heck of a large
oligomer, or there is nonspecific aggregation occurring.

Would anyone have insight into this this difficult-to-fit data? And if it
is likely nonspecific aggregation, is there a definitive diagnostic that
would show that with the data I already have?

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this, and for your
suggestions and comments!

Gwen Murphy

Guinevere A. Murphy		    Chemistry and Biochemistry Department
murphyg at ucsu.colorado.edu	    The University of Colorado at Boulder
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/~murphyg